Travelling With Your Pet

Pet Travel Scheme

Travel case

We all need documents to travel between countries and so do our pets. If you want to travel to or from Europe with your pet dog, cat or ferret you must obtain a Pet Passport.

To travel between UK and another EU or certain other countries your pet needs the following:

  • a microchip
  • a rabies vaccination
  • a pet passport
  • tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)

You also have to use an authorised carrier and an approved route.

There are additional rules if you want to travel to countries that are not on the Government's list.

When you return to the UK staff from the travel company scan your pet's microchip and check your documents. If you don't have the correct documents or your pet hasn't been properly prepared it will be put into quarantine or sent back to the country it travelled from at your expense. So it is vital to plan ahead.

There are no restrictions on bringing other small pets, such as rabbits, rodents, cage birds and reptiles to the UK from other EU countries.

When travelling with a pet, remember there are animal diseases in other countries that are not found in UK. Many of these can cause serious illness and your pet will need protection against them. Please contact us for advice on this important matter before you go.