News

Orchard Vet's Blog

Give your pet a Merry Christmas

18/12/2019


Christmas can be a strange time for our pets. Their normal environment is filled with trees, flowers and decorations, and there may be odd noises such as crackers and fireworks. Changes to the household routine and the presence of unfamiliar visitors may also heighten anxiety.

Christmas is a busy time too, when food and presents may be left unattended. Curious pets, especially dogs, may investigate or even eat presents left under the tree, or chew on unusual plants introduced as seasonal decorations.

Chocolate contains properties that are toxic to our pets and can cause agitation, hyperactivity, tremors, nervous convulsions and heart problems.

 Turkey bones can cause choking, constipation and intestinal damage.

 Onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and chives are all typical ingredients in stuffing that can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea and anaemia.

 Grapes, sultanas, currants and raisins are found in Christmas pudding, Christmas cake and mince pies. They can cause kidney failure in dogs.

 Antifreeze is sweet tasting, but poisonous and potentially fatal if ingested. Clear away spills, and do not allow drinking from roadside puddles.

 Plastic trees and decorations can cause an obstruction if eaten; pine needles can get stuck in paws; Baubles can splinter if chewed. Keep decorations and electrical wires out of reach!

If you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn't have, please give us a call immediately so that we can advise you as to what action needs to be taken. §