News

Orchard Vet's Blog

Conkers

09/10/2019


Picking up conkers with the kids may be part of the autumn routine, but they are a genuine hazard for our dogs.

Not only can these large nuts create a blockage if ingested, the horse chestnut tree (of which conkers are the seeds) contains aesculin, a chemical that is poisonous to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning usually occur within a few hours and can include vomiting, diarrhoea and restlessness caused by abdominal discomfort. This can lead to dehydration and toxic shock.

Dogs like to forage when out and about, so keep a close eye on them when they are around conkers. Discourage them from playing with them - do not, for example, throw conkers for them to catch. Instead, carry an appropriate dog toy with which to distract them.

If you think your dog has eaten a conker, please contact us straightaway. §