News

Orchard Vet's Blog

Beware of blue-green algae!

16/08/2018


Blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, form blooms in water bodies under certain environmental conditions - such as the recent heat wave we've been having. They produce toxins that are extremely poisonous to pets and humans. Gastrointestinal effects are often the main indication of exposure - vomiting, diarrhoea - but signs of liver damage generally occur within 24 hours and death may occur within hours to days.


If taking your dog for a walk don't let it drink or bathe in water where you identify blue-green algae. Blooms look like scum on the surface of the water - a bit like pea soup. Always carry fresh water around with you when walking your dog.

If you're concerned that your pet may have been poisoned, call your vet immediately. §