News

Orchard Vet's Blog

Valentine advice for pets

14/02/2018


Pets make great Valentines! For one thing, there's no need to buy them chocolates or flowers - in fact, these gifts can be dangerous for them.

Here are five tips to help keep your pets safe this Valentine's Day:

Chocolate can cause abnormal heart rhythms in dogs,  baking chocolate is especially toxic. Keep ALL chocolates out of your pet's reach.

Sugar-free sweets often contain large amounts of xylitol, which is toxic to pets, especially dogs. If ingested, it may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and in severe cases, liver failure.

Because pets are generally smaller then humans a little bit of alcohol can do a lot of harm: vomiting, diarrhoea, depression of the central nervous system, and breathing difficulties. Don't offer them any or let them lick up any spills.

Flowers can also be harmful to your pets if ingested. Even small amounts may lead to upset stomachs or vomiting. Be extremely careful with lilies, as these are fatally poisonous to cats. If you're sending a bouquet, specify that you want one that is pet-friendly!

Are you planning to give a loved one a new pet on Valentine's Day? Then please think carefully. Animals are not disposable or temporary, and they can't be returned if the recipient is not pleased. Why not come and talk to us first so that we can advise you about whether it's a good idea and help you find the perfect companion for your loved one? §